Friday, August 6, 2010

GETTING CLOSE!

Less than a week left before we start this cross country adventure. I am very excited about the event, but still a little nervous at the same time. Those of you who know me well know that I shy away from public speaking engagements - but I couldn't avoid a few this week.

LVMPD's Video Production Unit came by my office on Tuesday to interview me regarding my participation in the Tour Of Duty Event. They also followed me during my training run that day. They are hoping to film the team running down the Strip when we come to town on Friday night, 8-13-10, arriving in front of the Bellagio for a special fountain show in our honor at midnight, and on to the Fremont Street Experience at about 1235am (35 minutes later). The Video Production folks tell me that they are planning on airing the interview/footage on LVMPD's "Briefing Room" in September.

On Wednesday (the very next day) during a Las Vegas City Council meeting, the City of Las Vegas honored our team with a Proclamation, dedicating Saturday, August 14, 2010, "Tour Of Duty" day! The sponsor for the Proclamation is retired LVMPD Captain, Councilman Anthony. Since there were 11 of the runners in the audience, Councilman Anthony did not call everyone up to the podium, but did read each runner's name and had them stand in recognition. Councilman Anthony did call two members up to speak on the event - you guessed it - one of the two he called up was me! Although not my favorite thing to do, I survived, and was honored to be asked to speak of the event as a representative of the team.

1 comment: